Sid at Glastonbury

Simon Fairlie chapter7 at tlio.org.uk
Mon Sep 6 02:05:28 BST 2010

The 71 festival was the second, not the first Glastonbury, but was
the first big one and the one where the pyramid stage was built. In
the month prior to the festival there was a sort of upstairs/
downstairs situation, with Mike Eavis, Arabella Churchill etc in the
house, and a bunch of hippie workers in the field congregating round
the visqueen tipi where Sid held court. Everyone was broke and
tobacco was in such short supply that roll-ups were passed around
like joints. I'm not sure whether Sid actually did anything other
than pontificate, but his imposing  presence held people together
through a month of rain.

Sid's free cafe at the entirely free1971 Glastonbury festival was not
the only one to make a profit. The other free cafe, The Communal
Knead, held together by a North American called Mike Barglow, also
ended up in profit from donations (even though all its takings were
ripped off half way through the festival). The profits (£35, a huge
sum) were used to buy an FG van which headed off to Christiana and
started a cafe which I believe was called the Mad House.

Sid's best stunt at  the 71 festival was when a hot dog salesman set
up his van right in front of the pyramid stage. Sid sent his minions
out to hassle for donations, drove off to Bristol and bought hundreds
of rolls and sausages, and then set up a "free hot dog" stand right
next to the salesman — who packed up and drove off.

Simon