The Regime Digs in Deeper - By Robert Fisk

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Feb 10 13:33:53 GMT 2011

Former Interior minister, Habib el-Adly,
questioned over false flag bomb attacks against Coptic Christian Churches
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2011/2/7/941993/-Egyptian-bomb-dropsInterior-Minister-threw-it
http://www.thedailynewsegypt.com/crime-a-accidents/prosecution-investigates-interior-min-alleged-involvement-in-church-attack.html
According the UK diplomatic sources quoted in the
reports, the former interior minister had built
up in over six years a special security system
that was managed by 22 officers and that employed
a number of former radical Islamists, drug
dealers and some security firms to carry out acts
of sabotage around the country in case the regime was under threat to collapse.
The proclamation also pointed, sourcing reports
on UK intelligence services, that interior
ministry officer Maj. Fathi Abdelwahid began in
Dec. 11, 2011 preparing Ahmed Mohamed Khaled, who
had spent 11 years in Egyptian prisons, to
contact an extremist group named Jundullah and
coordinate with it the attack on the Alexandria church.
http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/02/07/136723.html

see also Fisk & Pilger below.........

The Revolt in Egypt is Coming Home
by John Pilger, February 10, 2011
http://original.antiwar.com/pilger/2011/02/09/the-revolt-in-egypt-is-coming-home/

The uprising in Egypt is our theater of the
possible. It is what people across the world have
struggled for and their thought controllers have
feared. Western commentators invariably misuse
the words "we" and "us" to speak on behalf of
those with power who see the rest of humanity as
useful or expendable. The "we" and "us" are
universal now. Tunisia came first, but the
spectacle always promised to be Egyptian.

As a reporter, I have felt this over the years.
In Cairo’s Tahrir (Liberation) Square in 1970,
the coffin of the great nationalist Gamal Abdul
Nasser coffin bobbed on an ocean of people who,
under him, had glimpsed freedom. One of them, a
teacher, described the disgraced past as "grown
men chasing cricket balls for the British at the
Cairo Club." The parable was for all Arabs and
much of the world. Three years later, the
Egyptian Third Army crossed the Suez Canal and
overran Israel’s fortresses in Sinai. Returning
from this battlefield to Cairo, I joined a
million others in Liberation Square. Their
restored respect was like a presence – until the
United States rearmed the Israelis and beckoned an Egyptian defeat.

Thereafter, President Anwar Sadat became
America’s man through the usual billion-dollar
bribery and, for this, he was assassinated in
1980. Under his successor, Hosni Mubarak,
dissenters came to Liberation Square at their
peril. Enriched by Washington’s bag men,
Mubarak’s latest American-Israeli project is the
building of an underground wall behind which the
Palestinians of Gaza are to be imprisoned forever.

Today, the problem for the people in Liberation
Square lies not in Egypt. On 6 February, the New
York Times reported: "The Obama administration
formally threw its weight behind a gradual
transition in Egypt, backing attempts by the
country’s vice president, General Omar Suleiman,
to broker a compromise with opposition groups

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said it was
important to support Mr. Suleiman as he seeks to defuse street protests
"

Having rescued him from would be assassins,
Suleiman is, in effect, Mubarak’s bodyguard,. His
other distinction, documented in Jane Mayer’s
investigative book, The Dark Side, is as
supervisor of American "rendition flights" to
Egypt where people are tortured on demand of the
CIA. He is also, as WikiLeaks reveals, a favorite
in Tel Aviv. When President Obama was asked in
2009 if he regarded Mubarak as authoritarian, his
swift reply was "no." He called him a peacemaker,
echoing that other great liberal tribune, Tony
Blair, to whom Mubarak is "a force for good."

The grisly Suleiman is now the peacemaker and the
force for good, the man of "compromise" who will
oversee the "gradual transition" and "defuse the
protests." This attempt to suffocate the Egyptian
revolt will call on the fact that a substantial
proportion of the population, from businessmen to
journalists to petty officials, have provided its
apparatus. In one sense, they reflect those in
the Western liberal class who backed Obama’s
"hope and change" and Blair’s equally bogus
"political Cinemascope" (Henry Porter in the
Guardian, 1995). No matter how different they
appear and postulate, both groups are the
domesticated backers and beneficiaries of the status quo.

In Britain, the BBC’s Today program is their
voice. Here, serious diversions from the status
quo are known as "Lord knows what." On 28 January
the Washington correspondent Paul Adams declared,
"The Americans are in a very difficult situation.
They do want to see some kind of democratic
reform but they are also conscious that they need
strong leaders capable of making decisions. They
regard President Mubarak as an absolute bulwark,
a key strategic ally in the region. Egypt is the
country along with Israel on which American
Middle East diplomacy absolutely hinges. They
don’t want to see anything that smacks of a
chaotic handover to frankly Lord knows what."

Fear of Lord Knows What requires that the
historical truth of American and British
"diplomacy" as largely responsible for the
suffering in the Middle East is suppressed or
reversed. Forget the Balfour Declaration that led
to the imposition of expansionist Israel. Forget
secret Anglo-American sponsorship of Islamic
jihadists as a "bulwark" against the democratic
control of oil. Forget the overthrow of democracy
in Iran and the installation of the tyrant Shah,
and the slaughter and destruction in Iraq. Forget
the American fighter jets, cluster bombs, white
phosphorous, and depleted uranium that are
performance-tested on children in Gaza. And now,
in the cause of preventing "chaos," forget the
denial of almost every basic civil liberty in
Omar Suleiman’s contrite "new" regime in Cairo.

The uprising in Egypt has discredited every
Western media stereotype about the Arabs. The
courage, determination, eloquence, and grace of
those in Liberation Square contrast with "our"
specious fear-mongering with its al-Qaeda and
Iran bogeys and iron-clad assumptions, bereft of
irony, of the "moral leadership of the West." It
is not surprising that the recent source of truth
about the imperial abuse of the Middle East,
WikiLeaks, is itself subjected to craven, petty
abuse in those self-congratulating newspapers
that set the limits of elite liberal debate on
both sides of the Atlantic. Perhaps they are
worried. Across the world, public awareness is
rising and bypassing them. In Washington and
London, the regimes are fragile and barely
democratic. Having long burned down societies
abroad, they are now doing something similar at
home, with lies and without a mandate. To their
victims, the resistance in Cairo’s Liberation
Square must seem an inspiration. "We won’t stop,"
said the young Egyptian woman on TV, "we won’t go
home." Try kettling a million people in the
center of London, bent on civil disobedience, and
try imagining it could not happen.

Week 3, day 16, and with every passing hour, The Regime Digs in Deeper
By Robert Fisk

February 09, 2011 "The Independent" -- Blood
turns brown with age. Revolutions do not. Vile
rags now hang in a corner of the square, the last
clothes worn by the martyrs of Tahrir: a doctor,
a lawyer among them, a young woman, their
pictures strewn above the crowds, the fabric of
the T-shirts and trousers stained the colour of
mud. But yesterday, the people honoured their
dead in their tens of thousands for the largest
protest march ever against President Hosni
Mubarak's dictatorship, a sweating, pushing,
shouting, weeping, joyful people, impatient,
fearful that the world may forget their courage
and their sacrifice. It took three hours to force
our way into the square, two hours to plunge
through a sea of human bodies to leave. High
above us, a ghastly photomontage flapped in the
wind: Hosni Mubarak's head superimposed upon the
terrible picture of Saddam Hussein with a noose round his neck.

Uprisings don't follow timetables. And Mubarak
will search for some revenge for yesterday's
renewed explosion of anger and frustration at his
30-year rule. For two days, his new back-to-work
government had tried to portray Egypt as a nation
slipping back into its old, autocratic torpor.
Gas stations open, a series of obligatory traffic
jams, banks handing out money – albeit in
suitably small amounts – shops gingerly doing
business, ministers sitting to attention on state
television as the man who would remain king for
another five months lectured them on the need to
bring order out of chaos – his only stated reason for hanging grimly to power.

But Issam Etman proved him wrong. Shoved and
battered by the thousands around him, he carried
his five-year- old daughter Hadiga on his
shoulders. "I am here for my daughter," he
shouted above the protest. "It is for her freedom
that I want Mubarak to go. I am not poor. I run a
transport company and a gas station. Everything
is shut now and I'm suffering, but I don't care.
I am paying my staff from my own pocket. This is
about freedom. Anything is worth that." And all
the while, the little girl sat on Issam Etman's
shoulders and stared at the epic crowds in
wonderment; no Harry Potter extravaganza would match this.

Many of the protesters – so many were flocking to
the square yesterday evening that the protest
site had overflowed onto the Nile river bridges
and the other squares of central Cairo – had come
for the first time. The soldiers of Egypt's Third
Army must have been outnumbered 40,000 to one and
they sat meekly on their tanks and armoured
personnel carriers, smiling nervously as old men
and youths and young women sat around their tank
tracks, sleeping on the armour, heads on the
great steel wheels; a military force turned to
impotence by an army of dissent. Many said they
had come because they were frightened; because
they feared the world was losing interest in
their struggle, because Mubarak had not yet left
his palace, because the crowds had grown smaller
in recent days, because some of the camera crews
had left for other tragedies and other
dictatorships, because the smell of betrayal was
in the air. If the Republic of Tahrir dries up,
then the national awakening is over. But
yesterday proved that the revolution is alive.

Its mistake was to underestimate the ability of
the regime to live too, to survive, to turn on
its tormentors, to switch off the cameras and
harass the only voice of these people – the
journalists – and to persuade those old enemies
of revolution, the "moderates" whom the West
loves, to debase their only demand. What is five
more months if the old man goes in September?
Even Amr Moussa, most respected of the crowds'
favourite Egyptians, turns out to want the old
boy to carry on to the end. And woeful, in truth,
is the political understanding of this innocent but often untutored mass.

Regimes grow iron roots. When the Syrians left
Lebanon in 2005, the Lebanese thought that it was
enough to lop off the head, to get the soldiers
and the intelligence officers out of their
country. But I remember the astonishment with
which we all discovered the depth of Syria's
talons. They lay deep in the earth of Lebanon, to
the very bedrock. The assassinations went on. And
so, too, it is in Egypt. The Ministry of Interior
thugs, the state security police, the dictator
who gives them their orders, are still in
operation – and if one head should roll, there
will be other heads to be pasted onto the
familiar portrait to send those cruel men back into the streets.

There are some in Egypt – I met one last night, a
friend of mine – who are wealthy and genuinely
support the democracy movement and want Mubarak
to go but are fearful that if he steps now from
his palace, the military will be able to impose
their own emergency laws before a single reform
has been discussed. "I want to get reforms in
place before the man leaves," my friend said. "If
he goes now, the new leader will be under no
obligation to carry out reforms. These should be
agreed to now and done quickly – it's the
legislature, the judiciary, the constitutional
changes, the presidential terms that matter. As
soon as Mubarak leaves, the men with brass on
their shoulders will say: 'It's over – go home!'
And then we'll have a five-year military council.
So let the old man stay till September."

But it's easy to accuse the hundreds of thousands
of democracy protestors of naivety, of
simple-mindedness, of over-reliance on the
Internet and Facebook. Indeed, there is growing
evidence that "virtual reality" became reality
for the young of Egypt, that they came to believe
in the screen rather than the street – and that
when they took to the streets, they were deeply
shocked by the state violence and the regime's
continued, brutal, physical strength. Yet for
people to taste this new freedom is overwhelming.
How can a people who have lived under
dictatorship for so long plan their revolution?
We in the West forget this. We are so
institutionalized that everything in our future
is programmed. Egypt is a thunderstorm without
direction, an inundation of popular expression
which does not fit neatly into our revolutionary
history books or our political meteorology.

All revolutions have their "martyrs", and the
faces of Ahmed Bassiouni and young Sally Zahrani
and Moahmoud Mohamed Hassan float on billboards
around the square, along with pictures of
dreadfully mutilated heads with the one word
"unidentified" printed beside them with appalling
finality. If the crowds abandon Tahrir now, these
dead will also have been betrayed. And if we
really believe the regime-or-chaos theory which
still grips Washington and London and Paris, the
secular, democratic, civilized nature of this
great protest will also be betrayed. The deadly
Stalinism of the massive Mugamma government
offices, the tattered green flag of the pathetic
Arab League headquarters, the military-guarded
pile of the Egyptian Museum with the golden death
mask of Tutankhamen – a symbol of Egypt's mighty
past – buried deep into its halls; these are the
stage props of the Republic of Tahrir.

Week three – day sixteen – lacks the romance and
the promise of the Day of Rage and the great
battles against the Egyptian Ministry of Interior
goons and the moment, just over a week ago, when
the army refused Mubarak's orders to crush, quite
literally, the people in the square. Will there
be a week six or a day 32? Will the cameras still
be there? Will the people? Will we? Yesterday
proved our predictions wrong again. But they will
have to remember that the iron fingernails of
this regime have long ago grown into the sand,
deeper than the pyramids, more powerful than
ideology. We have not seen the last of this
particular creature. Nor of its vengeance.
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://tonygosling.blip.tv/
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung