Fwd: Forests petition

Darren mail at vegburner.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 15:57:42 BST 2012

I guess the pressure helps.....

38 Degrees Logo

Dear Darren,

Not again! There are worrying rumours of a behind-the-scenes effort to
revive plans to sell off England’s woodlands. We may have less than a
week to stop them and keep our forests safe for future generations.

Next week, the government's forest panel will publish a new report on
the future of our woodlands. [1] Rumours are circulating that some panel
members want to clear the way for a fresh sell-off. We’ve got a few days
to persuade the rest of them to block this new threat to our beautiful
woodlands.

Please add your name to the urgent petition now, and then forward this
email to your family and friends. We’ll do an emergency delivery to each
of the panel members before next Wednesday:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/keep-our-woods-safe

It's a bit depressing that anyone still thinks selling off England's
woodlands is a good idea! But it's not all that surprising - the
government forest panel includes vested interests from the private
timber industry. [2] A huge people powered petition could help sway
undecided panel members and make sure these vested interests don't win out.

Our woodlands are at their best at this time of year. Animals and plants
are flourishing. A new generation of children is learning to ride bikes
and climb trees. For those of us that live in cities and towns,
woodlands give us a chance to slow down and enjoy nature. And for tens
of thousands of people, jobs in forests pay their wages. [3] That's why
last year, half a million of us stood together to stop them being sold
off. [4]

The next few days are crucial to protect these beautiful wild places -
please sign the emergency petition now:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/keep-our-woods-safe

Thanks for being involved,

Hannah, Marie, Cian, David, Becky, James, David T, Belinda and the 38
Degrees team

PS: The government has already stated publicly that up to 40,000
hectares of woodland could be put up for sale again within weeks of this
report being published. We can't let this start again! Please sign the
petition now: https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/keep-our-woods-safe

NOTES
[1] DEFRA: Independent Panel on Forestry
http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/forestry/
[2] DEFRA: Independent Panel on Forestry Panel members’ biographies
http://www.defra.gov.uk/forestrypanel/about/members/
[3] Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology postnote: UK Trees
and Forests http://www.parliament.uk/documents/post/postpn275.pdf
[4] The Independent: Forest farce: Cameron to axe sell-off policy
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/forest-farce-cameron-to-axe-selloff-policy-2217131.html

Unsubscribe: If you no longer wish to be part of our movement and
receive our emails you can unsubscribe here.

This email was sent to mail at vegburner.co.uk.

38 DEGREES Registered Company No. 6642193