Democracy activists resist land grabs in Wukan, China

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Jul 21 22:31:38 BST 2012

Guardian/AP coverage much better

China punishes officials accused of embezzling Wukan village property
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/24/china-punishes-officials-embezzling-wukan
Villagers organised mass protests and held a
standoff with police in late 2011 after accusing
officials of stealing their farmland
Associated Press in Beijing - guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 24 April 2012 07.45 BST
Wukan residents marched to demand government
action over illegal land grabs and the death in
custody of a local leader in December 2011.
Photograph: AFP Photo/AFP/Getty Images
Chinese authorities have punished 20 officials
and former village leaders after a community in
southern China held mass protests over land
disputes that drove out local officials.
The official Xinhua news agency said the former
Communist party chief of Wukan village in
Guangdong province and the former head of the
village committee were expelled from the ruling
party and ordered to return nearly $45,000
(£28,000) in what it described as illegal gains.
Six other former village officials and a dozen
higher-level officials were also punished, but no details were provided.
Protests in Wukan last year flared into violence
in which villagers smashed a police station and
cars. After key activists were detained in
December, the villagers drove out officials and
barricaded themselves in for 10 days and held boisterous rallies.
The protests ended after provincial officials
intervened and ceded to some demands.
Xinhua said authorities found that the village's
former officials had been involved in illegal
transfers of land-use rights, embezzling property
that was collectively owned, accepting bribes and rigging village elections.
In March, two of the protest leaders were elected
to run the village in a much-watched election
that reformers hoped would promote democracy as a
way to settle many of the myriad disputes besetting China.
Many experts, however, said it's far too soon to
say if political leaders will summon the will to
replicate Wukan's experience elsewhere.

Wukan holds its election after protests that cowed officialdom
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/03/wukan-villagers-elections-protests
Chinese village goes to the polls to elect new
leaders after running authorities out of town over land grabs
Associated Press - guardian.co.uk, Saturday 3 March 2012 07.54 GMT
Chinese villagers in Wukan who staged a rebellion
against local officials they accused of stealing
their farmland voted for new leaders on Saturday
in a much-watched poll that reformers hope will
set a standard for resolving similar widespread and protracted disputes.
The Wukan protests flared in late 2011, with
villagers smashing a police station and cars.
After key village activists were detained in
December, villagers drove out officials and
barricaded themselves in for 10 days, keeping
police out and holding boisterous rallies.
Villagers said the local head, in power for
decades, sold their farmland to developers without their consent.
There are tens of thousands of protests in China
each year – many of them over land as in Wukan,
and often provoked by the actions of indifferent or corrupt local officials.
Similar standoffs in China often end in arrests,
but in Wukan the provincial government conceded.
It offered to hold the new elections, return some
of the disputed farmland and release the detained
activists, as well as the body of one who died in detention.
China has allowed village elections for nearly
three decades but local Communist party leaders,
who hold the real power, often try to manipulate
the results. By those standards Wukan is
conducting what seems to be one of China's most free polls.
Huang Jinqi was among the several thousand people
in the small fishing village in southern
Guangdong province to fill in a ballot for the
seven-member village committee. The 63-year-old
farmer said the process was going smoothly and he
was satisfied with how it had been organised. "It
is open and transparent," he said.
Li Lianjiang, an expert on China's local
elections and protests at the Chinese University
of Hong Kong, said: "Hopefully local authorities
in other places of Guangdong and even other
provinces will refer to Wukan as a precedent when
they face similar situations."
The election is being hailed by more liberal
Chinese state media and democratic campaigners as
the "Wukan model", a systematic approach in which
the government uncharacteristically puts the
interests of locals ahead of its usual emphasis
on maintaining order. Wang Yang, Guangdong's
party secretary who has a reputation as a
reformer, said Wukan showed that a balance could
be struck between "preserving stability and preserving rights".
Many experts said it was far too soon to say if
political leaders would summon the will to replicate Wukan's lessons elsewhere.
"Wukan so far is an exceptional case," said Li
Fan, who runs a private thinktank in Beijing that
has been involved in local government
experiments. "In this case, no matter how well
the Wukan village elections proceed the impact on
the development of grass-roots democracy is very limited."
The fact that many of the activists in Wukan's
revolt ran for membership in the village
committee is a precedent. To defuse protests
local governments often make concessions, then
arrest ringleaders when tempers have subsided, a
practice known as "settling accounts after the harvest".