Thu28Jun E. LONDON Global Land Grab: Who wins, who loses?

Adam Payne AdamPayne_5 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 20 18:17:33 BST 2012

The Global
 Land
Grab: who wins, who loses?

Thursday 28 June, 7pm at the
Hornbeam café

In recent years the rush to profit from the
rising value of agricultural land and natural resources has led increasing
numbers of large financial investors to invest in land. Commonly known as ‘land
grabs’ these are deals made between governments and corporations with little
regard for the communities who live and work on the land in question. Often
resulting in the eviction and forced displacement of rural communities, land
grabs are a driving force behind global poverty and hunger.

Join us on Thursday 28 June at the Hornbeam Café
for an evening of discussions and presentations through which we will
investigate the history, causes and effect of land grabs, as well as the ways
in which they are resisted by affected communities and their supporters all
over the world. We will be joined by Samarendra Das, an author, filmmaker and
activist who has spent many years exposing the effects of corporate land grabs
around the world.

7 – 8pm Come early for soup and
chat (bring a small donation if you can);

8 – 10pm presentation and discussion.

All at the Hornbeam Café, 458 Hoe St, Walthamstow,
 E17 9AH

Please share this invitation widely.