28Jul13 - Luddite conference - The Politics Of Technology

Ned Ludd tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Feb 11 22:48:02 GMT 2013

Luddites200 February 2013 Update

Contents:
Commemorative event in York
Summer gathering on the politics of technology
Luddite music compilation and poetry book
New Luddite technology project in USA
Forthcoming technology politics events

Commemorative event in York

On January 19th, York Alternative History
<http://yorkalternativehistory.wordpress.com/>http://yorkalternativehistory.wordpress.com/
staged an excellent and moving event to commemorate the final episode
of the Luddite uprisings - the trial and execution at York of men
involved in the West Yorkshire uprising. In what was very much a show
trial, 17 men were sentenced to death. Of these, three were hanged
for the murder of William Horsfall, the mill owner who had threatened
to 'ride up to his saddle girths in Luddite blood.' These three,
George Mellor, William Thorpe and Thomas Smith, were hanged on
January 8th 1813 and a further 14 were hanged on the 16th. Others
were sentenced to transportation.

The first part of the event took place in the Guild Hall included
talks by historians Katrina Navickas, Malcolm Chase and Alan Brooke
(for the full text of his talk see
<http://luddites200blog.org.uk/2013/02/the-luddite-legacy/>http://luddites200blog.org.uk/2013/02/the-luddite-legacy/).
Katrina Navickas gave a general introduction to the Luddite
uprisings, and Malcolm Chase followed with a fascinating history of
different uprisings that have resulted in incarceration and
executions at York Castle, illustrating the overall political
significance of York as a site of demonstration of state power over
several hundred years. Alan Brooke's talk focused on the legacy of
the Luddites both in political movements such as the early 20th
century Syndicalist movement, and in literature and film. The talks
were followed by a brief but lively discussion which focused more on
the politics of Luddism and their contemporary relevance more than on
the 1813 events.

There was then a procession through the town with placards, each of
which carried the name of one of the men executed. At a ceremony by
the castle wall, at the site at which it is believed that the
executions took place, Martin Bashforth read a brief but moving
statement about why we were commemorating these men's deaths, and
placards were planted in the snow below the castle wall.

The commemoration was rounded off in the evening with a wake and a
folk club with lots of different performers. My personal highlights
included Theo Simon singing the Cropper's Song and the
wonderfully-named Reason Breeds Monsters.

Overall, the York events were an excellent conclusion to the
historical part of the celebrations of the Luddites' 200th
anniversary. Luddites200 is, however, far from calling it a day and
over the next six months we will be focusing on a number of current
issues raised by technology, where a Luddite perspective is needed.
If you are based in or near London, our next organising meeting is on
February 11th, please contact us for details if you'd like to be there.

Summer gathering on the politics of technology

We are making very good progress towards staging what should be a
fascinating and extremely enjoyable gathering on the politics of
technology this summer. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DATE HAS BEEN CHANGED TO
JULY 25th TO 28th, although we are having some difficulties updating
the information on the website.

The basic idea behind the gathering is that there is a need for a new
radical politics of technology to address the crises of the 21st
century and the need to transition to a sustainable and socially just
society. There must be a systematic and proactive approach which goes
beyond reacting against the challenges that the technocratic system
constantly throws up, such as new nuclear power stations,
geoengineering, or genetic engineering of human beings. So, we are
aiming to bring together activists from many different areas of
technology politics, as well as trade unionists, developers of
alternative technologies, radical historians, artists and writers and
anyone with an interest in these issues, to try to collectively
rethink our approach to technology. The gathering will include plenty
of activities such as hands-on workshops on traditional and
alternative technologies, as well as walking, music etc.

We are beginning to prepare the agenda for this ground-breaking event
over the next few months and are looking for input or offers to help
from anyone who is interested, so please contact us if you have any
suggestions about people to invite and opportunities for publicising the event.

Luddite music compilation and poetry book

Our compilation of Luddite music, Mr Lud's Song, was published just
before Christmas and has been received with enthusiasm. The title of
the CD comes from an intercepted letter from a Yorkshire weaver to
his Nottingham brother from April 1812: "We received him as a friend
from you... and we have enjoy'd ourselves over a pot or two of Beer,
and he read us Mr Lud's Song." The album contains performances of all
but one of the traditional Luddite songs, as well as new material
from shows that were touring last year and some existing modern
Luddite classics, from artists such as Seize the Day, Steeleye Span,
New Model Army, Robert Calvert and Chumbawamba. You can buy it online
at:
<http://luddites200blog.org.uk/luddite-music-cd-and-poetry/>http://luddites200blog.org.uk/luddite-music-cd-and-poetry/,
but act soon because stocks are dwindling fast. We would be
interested in any suggestions for places where the CD could be
reviewed or opportunities for marketing it.

We are working hard towards publishing Words in Praise of General
Ludd, a compilation of poems from our competition last year, but
still need a few more advance orders in order to be confident that we
can break even on the project. So please lend us a hand getting over
that hurdle by ordering the book online at the address above.

New Luddite technology project in USA

In December we received a very interesting message from a new US
group which is aiming to set up a demonstration project for a
community using traditional technologies, such as handloom weaving,
blacksmithing and human-powered tools. Interestingly, they are not
averse to the use of current communication technologies in the
planning process for the community, and are interested in getting
input from anyone with an interest in traditional and alternative
technologies. More information can be found at:
<http://culturalspeciation.blogspot.com/2012/04/luddite-manhattan-project-first-stage.html>http://culturalspeciation.blogspot.com/2012/04/luddite-manhattan-project-first-stage.html
or by contacting Iuval at clejan.iuval at gmail.com

Forthcoming technology politics events

Frack Free February is a month of action in Somerset with public
meetings, talks, stalls, workshops, actions and more all raising
awareness about the threats to our communities and the bigger picture
of extreme energy. For more information:
http://www.frackfreesomerset.org/frack-free-february/

Food Sovereignty Movement meeting
The nascent UK Food Sovereignty Movement is holding a meeting in
Bristol on February 10th to plan next steps. See link for more
details: http://foodsovereigntynow.org.uk/ukfoodsov/

Talk on Science, Technology and Militarism
Scientists for Global Responsibility will be giving a talk on this
subject at Leeds Cafe Scientifique on May 14th: http://www.cafescientifique.org

Anarchism and Science Discussion Group
This London based discussion group was set up in December. The next
meeting is on February 10th at LARC, 62 Fieldgate Street, London E1
1ES, from 12:30 - 3pm, followed by visit to pub.

THE LUDDITE LEGACY

Posted on
<http://luddites200blog.org.uk/2013/02/the-luddite-legacy/>February
7, 2013 by <http://luddites200blog.org.uk/author/luddites200/>luddites200
Alan Brooke
Full text of a paper forming the basis of a talk given at York
Guildhall, 19 January 2012, to commemorate the execution of the West
Riding of Yorkshire Luddites in 1813.
http://luddites200blog.org.uk/2013/02/the-luddite-legacy/

+44 (0)7786 952037
http://www.thisweek.org.uk
Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered that shall not be
revealed; and nothing hid that shall not be made known. What I tell
you in darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye hear in the
ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27