New Statesman: How can we solve Britain's housing crisis?

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sun Sep 22 19:51:01 BST 2013

 From 'across the political spectrum' says George
Eaton but he may as well be an Eton boy himself
as, like generations of landowning and banking
feudal overlords he excludes the rights and interests of the landless here.
Little or no account either taken of
environmental solutions such as Ecovillages or Low Impact development.
How about drive in allotments for travellers
They are non-people who don't exist schurely George....
Tony

How can we solve Britain's housing crisis?
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/09/how-can-we-solve-britains-housing-crisis
Policymakers and experts from across the
political spectrum each offer one suggestion.
By New Statesman Published 22 September 2013 12:47
George Eaton writes: As well as enduring the
slowest economic recovery in more than 100 years,
Britain is suffering from a severe housing
crisis. Housebuilding is at its lowest level
since the 1920s, with just 98,280 registered
starts in 2012, down 11 per cent on the previous
year and far short of the 230,000 new households that were formed.
Private rents have increased by 37 per cent in
the past five years and are forecast to rise by a
further 35 per cent over the next six years. As a
result, as many as five million people rely on
state aid to remain in their homes. The
government spent £23.8bn on subsidising landlords
through housing benefit last year, more than 20
times as much as it spent on housebuilding.
Below, policymakers and experts from across the
political spectrum [except the landless as usual]
each offer one suggestion to help solve the crisis.

John Cridland, CBI director-general
Make stamp duty more progressive
Clearly there is no one silver bullet that will
solve the UK’s housing crisis. But if there’s one
measure that could make a real difference in the
long-term I would urge ministers to change the
current system of stamp duty, which skews the market.
Under the current system, stamp duty is charged
at a certain percentage based on thresholds
linked to the value of the property. It means
someone buying a property worth £251,000 is
landed with a stamp duty bill of £7,530, while
the buyer of a home worth just £1,000 less only pays £2,500.
We want the government to introduce a more
progressive system where buyers crossing one of
the stamp duty thresholds would only pay the
higher rate on the portion of the property that
falls within the higher bracket. This would be
fairer and simpler for homebuyers and end the
current distortion in one fell swoop.
But there’s much more that needs to be done.
We’ve been falling woefully short of building the
homes we need for years which is why the
availability and affordability of housing has
become one of the most pressing staff recruitment
and retention issues facing business.
Unsurprisingly, our most recent London member
survey highlighted housing as one of the biggest
drawbacks to doing business in the capital.
It is clear that there’s huge pent-up demand from
first-time buyers to second-steppers trading up
the property ladder and the Help to Buy
initiative is a brave scheme to try to meet this
demand. And there are early signs that the first
stage is working – with 10,000 reservations for
new build homes in the last four months. That’s
helped lift consumer confidence by widening
access to mortgages, getting orders onto
developers’ books and boosting the construction industry.
The second stage of the scheme around mortgage
guarantees will offer a critical lifeline to
trapped second-steppers and underpin the early
signs of confidence returning to the housing
market. But there are some serious questions
ministers need to answer – specifically how the
government intends to exit the mortgage market
without a knock-on drop in prices; how it will
minimise the risk to taxpayers of having to stump
up for defaults and at what fee mortgage lenders
will pay for government guarantees.
Help to Buy is only part of the jigsaw. House
prices will continue to rise unless we take
urgent action to increase supply. We need to make
sure local councils are taking a proactive
approach to planning reform to avoid lengthy
delays in getting homes built and look to
increase the number of properties available for the private rental sector.

Roger Harding, head of policy, Shelter
Build new garden cities
Each year we are failing to build the homes we
need just to keep up with demand and Shelter is
seeing the direct consequences of this shortfall,
with families priced out of home ownership,
soaring rents and thwarted family aspirations.
The scale of the challenge is such that we need
enough homes to fill Hemel Hempstead, Letchworth, Milton Keynes and more.
So the solution in effect needs to be, let's
build Hemel Hempstead, Letchworth and Milton
Keynes. After all, according to recent
comprehensive analysis, 90% of England is not
built on, with green belt land accounting for
only 13% of this undeveloped total.
There is no silver bullet for our housing crisis
- successive governments' failure to build has
put pay to that – but the solutions are out
there. They just need to go far further than our
current piecemeal plans and step away from
pushing more money, Help to Buy-style, into the
housing shortage; something which can only lead to dangerously rising prices.
We know there are initiatives that can turn the
situation around; this crisis isn't unprecedented
and low levels of building don’t have to be an
inevitable consequence of the credit crunch. We
tackled the slums and Blitz-induced post war
crisis. France is currently managing to build
three times the number of homes we are (with plans to hit five times).
So rather than tinkering around the edges, let’s
have a housing policy combining the vision and
scale of the New Towns with more modern
aspirations. The Prime Minister backs them in
principle, but not yet in substantive plans.
New Market Towns for the 21st Century would
combine infrastructure, housing, environmental
and employment powers in a development
corporation that would fund the scheme by
borrowing against future land value increases,
not the public debt. They could use Dutch and
German-type land powers to bring together
suitable sites. They could bring in small
builders and self builders to deliver quality
homes alongside the big players. They could
introduce a new programme of shared ownership
homes to provide the squeezed middle with the stable home we know they crave.
Choosing exactly where they would go isn’t easy
and, although better design would help,
inevitably New Market Towns wouldn't please
everyone and NIMBYism is a hurdle that would need
to be overcome. But we have already seen the
leadership this solution requires. The Olympic
park was led by a single body with imagination as
well as planning powers, financial autonomy and
cross party political will, to deliver genuinely
affordable homes in East London. Surely this is
proof that new towns need not be confined to
history, we can create new homes and communities that work in the 21st Century.

Jack Dromey, shadow housing minister
Make housebuilding a national priority
What one thing would change our housing system
for the better? That was the question I was asked
to answer when writing this article.
With the country in the midst of the biggest
housing crisis in a generation and the number of
homes we are building fewer than half those that
we need, building more homes is the obvious
answer. But that begs the next question, what one
thing would I change about our housing system in order to build more homes?
There are a number of changes that can and should
be made. Greater investment, public and private,
is of course crucial. Reform of our land market,
which acts as a barrier to expanding housing
supply, is also essential. Increasing competition
and the range of institutions that deliver new
homes must also be a priority from revitalising
the role of local government to build a new
generation of council homes to increasing the
output of small builders, custom-build and
co-operative housing. A focus on building
successful new communities, whether as part of
urban regeneration or through new settlements is
also fundamental. And the agenda must not just be
about the number of homes we build but
place-making and the building of high-quality,
well designed and environmentally friendly mixed communities.
Which one would I choose to change our housing
system for the better? On my desk lies a copy of
the Labour Party’s Post-War Policy “Housing and
Planning After the War.” It is a fascinating
document which outlines the nature of the housing
crisis and the need for a huge building programme
to achieve the Labour Party’s policy of providing
“every family with a home of a decent modern
standard.” Aside from the need for a building
programme, the document refers to a wide range of
issues that the post-war Government would need to address.
But what is most striking is the final section
entitled “Britain’s Task”, it says: "It must
again be emphasised that the world as we
visualise it after the war can only be gradually
realised. Constant effort will be required to
prevent its frustration by vested interests, but
if a vigilant guard is maintained and we keep our
objective clearly before us, with vision, energy
and courage, its realisation will be achieved
with ever-accelerating speed. Then, undoubtedly
we shall have the satisfaction of knowing that we
are playing our part towards the building of a New Britain."
Then, as now, the crucial thing needed to tackle
the housing crisis is political will. The will to
put fulfilling that basic human desire, that
aspiration, for a decent home to buy or to rent
at a price you can afford, providing a secure
place to bring up a family, at the heart of our politics.
Then, as now, nobody should be in any doubt about
the Labour Party’s determination to rebuild this
country and give families a chance of a decent
home for their children just like their parents did before them.
And in Ed Miliband, we have a leader with the
vision, courage and crucially, the political
will, to succeed. Ultimately it is about
political will. With that and the fact that David
Cameron has presided over the lowest level of new
homes built in peacetime since the 1920s in mind,
the one thing that would change our housing
system for the better seems rather obvious. At
the 2015 general election, housing, will once
again be a great national priority for Labour.

David Skelton, director of Renewal, a new
campaign group aiming to broaden the appeal of
the Conservative Party to working class and ethnic minority voters.
Devolve planning powers to the cities
The shortage of housing represents one of the
biggest problems facing our country. There are
around 1.8 million people on the social housing
waiting list and the average age of the first
time buyer is now 37. The cost of housing now
makes a significant contribution to the squeeze
in living standards that has been hitting working
people since 2005, with private rent increasing by 37% in five years.
Against this backdrop of a housing shortage, the
last government failed to meet their housing
targets and the recession has meant that the
number of housing starts is well below what the
country needs. The first decade of the century
was the first time in 60 years that home ownership has fallen, from 68% to 63%.
It’s imperative that politicians address our
housing shortage as a priority. Conservatives
should position themselves squarely as the party
of housebuilding, following in the footsteps of
Noel Skelton and Anthony Eden’s vision of a
property owning democracy, Harold Macmillan’s
housebuilding programme and Margaret Thatcher’s
right to buy. Becoming the party of housebuilding
would give the party an optimistic message of
spreading home ownership and ensuring a decent home for all.
Removing bureaucracy that prevents use of
brownfield land, converting empty properties and
allowing shops to empty business premises to be
used for residential purposes will all help, but
they’re not going to solve our housing crisis
alone. That needs a more radical rethinking of
our top-down planning laws, which continue to hold back housebuilding.
At the moment, housing goes where bureaucrats
think people want to live rather than where
people actually want to live. Government should
be prepared to devolve power over planning to
cities, so they can decide whether to be pioneers
in adopting a more liberal approach to planning
policy in order to build more homes and create more jobs.
Liberalising planning policy should include
putting power in the hands of local people,
including in deciding whether to build on the
greenbelt. Whilst areas of outstanding natural
beauty should, of course, be protected, some
building on the greenbelt should be allowed,
particularly in areas around cities, where there
is local support and where the local community is adequately compensated
This will help ensure that development is both
attractive and acceptable to local people, whilst
also meaning that successful cities are able to
grow and prosper and the housing shortage is
tackled. This could be particularly powerful in
helping Northern cities to prosper, following the
example of Preston, which was one of the highest
growth cities between 1998 and 2008 due to more
liberal planning laws. If the South isn’t
prepared to build more houses that also gives
Northern cities a chance to expand and encourage
more people to live and work there.
Changing planning laws aren’t going to get more
houses built on their own. Government should act
against the big business vested interests who are
sitting on land with planning permission waiting
for property prices to rise, so-called land
banking. Providing a right to build, as is the
case in much of Europe, where local people are
encouraged to design their own homes for land
that has already been granted could also help boost house building.
Housing is a vital challenge facing politicians.
Tackling the housing shortage and spreading home
ownership should be a real priority.

Lutfur Rahman, mayor of Tower Hamlets
Increase grant funding to local authorities
London’s dire housing crisis - the capital’s
woeful lack of social housing coupled with
grossly inflated prices in the private housing
sector - calls for immediate and radical
measures. But there is no doubt that Britain’s
national housing crisis has been severely
exacerbated by government policies driven
partially by austerity. I would like to think
that a future Labour government will make
affordable housing one of their top priorities,
but our situation is so serious we can’t afford
the wait. We need this government to change its policies now.
The government, in the shape of Grant Shapps and
George Osborne, is conspiring to make it
difficult for authorities such as mine to build
new homes – although that has not stopped us from
straining every possible sinew to build the most
of any authority in Britain. Yet the 4,000 new
affordable homes we will have completed during my
first term as Mayor only go part of the way to
providing homes for the 22,000 people now on our housing waiting lists.
Grant funding has been massively reduced for new
build of affordable housing. Grant rates have
reduced from over £100000 per home to nearer
£25000, per home compared to the investment in
the National Affordable Housing Programme which
ran from 2008 to 2011. With the average cost of
building a new home at £140,000 the new grant
provides less than 14% of the total cost. In
inner London, with far more expensive build and
land costs the price per new social home is
around £200,000, making any available HCA (now
operated in London by the GLA) grant a tiny
contributor to the overall cost. This has
resulted in a massive reduction in the number of
social homes provided nationally.
Even more damagingly, to be able to access
Government Homes and Community Agency (now
operated in London by the GLA) grants for new
house building, housing providers have to commit
to charge tenants up to 80% of the private market
rate, and many are choosing to do so. This is the
new ‘affordable’ rent. Yet we know that on
average the people in our borough, who need
housing can only pay, at maximum, around 65% of
market rents and on the very smallest homes.
My priority is to campaign and persuade ministers
to re-consider their deeply damaging housing
policies. If I could have my way I would
immediately remove the condition that HCA and GLA
grants can only be made if tenants pay up to 80%
of the market rate, since so few can possibly do
so. Moreover, simply returning to the pre-2010
levels of grant per home would go a long way to
solving our housing problems locally and
nationally as well. But the question remains; is
the Government really interested in providing
housing that ordinary Londoners need?

Graeme Cooke, research director, IPPR
Switch spending from housing benefit to housebuilding
One big lesson from post-war housing policy is
that we can’t rely solely on the private sector
to build the homes we need. The era when 300,000
plus new homes a year were regularly built, from
the 1950s to the 1970s, was based on a
partnership of public and private investment. A
prominent reason for our current housing shortage
is the collapse in public house building from the
early 1980s, which reduced overall output and
left the delivery of new homes dependent on a
private house building sector which responds to
market conditions not housing need.
This change was partly driven by Mrs Thatcher’s
aversion to social housing. But also a policy
decision, of profound consequence, to shift the
balance of public spending from capital grants
for building homes to cash benefits for
subsidising rents. In principle, this could
extend choice and mobility for households. And,
in the short term, Housing Benefit meets
immediate need. But as a strategy for housing
policy, the cycle of falling capital investment
and a rising benefit bill into which we are
locked makes no sense (especially when 40 per
cent of rent subsidy now goes to private landlords).
This problem has not emerged overnight, but
fiscal constraint casts it in an urgent light.
During the Labour years, rising public spending
covered up the structural problem. But capital
and benefit spending on housing are now both
being cut. This exposes the perversity of public
spending on housing, 95 per cent of which now
goes through the benefit system. This is bad
policy and bad politics. Therefore the priority
should be advancing institutional reforms which
connect decisions about the housing market and
the benefit system – and create a mechanism to
re-balance public expenditure overtime.
This shift won’t be unlocked in Whitehall given
its blindness to the diversity of England ‘s many
housing markets. Instead it requires the chronic
and misguided centralisation of housing policy to
be overcome. A new generation of city and council
leaders, impatient to improve housing in their
areas, find themselves in a policy and finance
straightjacket. So the next spending review
should mobilise their energy and leadership,
through progressively greater control over public
expenditure for housing, with the ability to
strike the right balance between building homes and subsidising rents.
Alongside serious reform of our dysfunctional
land market, this could offer a plausible route
to improving affordability of housing for the
majority and value for money for the taxpayer.

Mark Clare, Barratt Developments group chief executive
Double the land release target for house building
It’s an uncomfortable truth that the UK’s housing
crisis is going to get worse before it gets
better. It will affect every location and every
tenure. Over the next two years or so, we can and
will increase the number of homes we build by
around 20% - as the mortgage market improves. We
are buying more land and will be recruiting
another 600 apprentices and graduates.
However, the yawning gap between demand and
supply will continue to grow. We are already
building homes on all the land where we have full
and implementable planning permission, so we need
to consider two issues to step up the number of
homes. In the short term we have to speed up the
planning process. Whilst the process is now a
better one that is leading to a more constructive
dialogue, it is still too slow. Even small,
relatively uncontroversial sites can take well
over a year to be fully approved. And it can be a lot slower than that.
But we also need to think about the longer term
and how we make more land available for housing.
Here, there is an urgent role for the public
sector because it owns around one third of the
land suitable for housing. The government has a
target to release enough of its land for 100,000
new homes. I believe that should be doubled. Some
may say sell it off to the highest bidder. That
is not the approach I would like to see. As the
public sector owns the land, it should play a
major part in specifying the way it should be
used – the required economic and social outcomes.
In short, the public sector should act like a
progressive land owner interested in long term
value as well as short term price.
There are great examples already in progress.
Former collieries are now being regenerated into
thriving new communities. Old hospital sites
derelict for years, are now on the verge of
providing new housing and new employment. Active
partnership between the private and public sector
to build more homes will also mean that the
housing sector has to change. We have to show
that good design, high environmental standards
and a real focus on quality are an integral part of what we do.
We have to do more to establish a lasting legacy
of economic and social benefit. We have to win
the debate about new homes and that means better
as well as more housing. Only then can we address
the issue that while people see that there is a
housing crisis, they just don’t support new housing in their community.

Owen Hatherley, author of A Guide to the New Ruins of Great Britain
Create a universal public housing system
The obvious solution to the housing crisis is
universal public housing. Or, as it was called in
the UK, 'council housing'. That is, housing owned
and controlled by democratically-elected public
bodies, rented out at regulated low rents to
those who need it. The term 'council' is
important here – built by a body you can vote in
or out, that you can stand for election to, that
your council taxes pay for. It isn't 'social'
housing, controlled by charities or basically
profit-oriented Housing Associations; it isn't
'affordable' housing, where percentages of
private speculative schemes are sold at a
slightly subsidised price; and it isn't
'co-operative housing', where small elective
groups manage to get themselves better housing.
In contrast to all of these, council housing is a
democratic, public and universal service, as much
as the National Health Service is, or rather was.
Council housing is also bigger – Parker-Morris
space standards still apply – it is usually
better planned, with more green space; and it is,
of course, cheaper. It's staggering how we've
been conned into treating it as a grim residuum,
and the shoddiest, pokiest private housing in
Europe as somehow superior. Although there are an
estimated 5 million people on the council waiting
list, it is regularly claimed that there is no
'need' for it any more. It does not entail
attaining a place on the property ladder. It will
not make your children rich. It needs state
subsidy – although so do many privately owned
'regeneration' schemes, so does Help to Buy, and
so do bail-outs for delinquent Building
Societies. It is associated with system-built
blocks from the late '60s, although council
housing has encompassed – and should encompass –
everything from the semis of Wythenshawe to the
grandiose futurism of the Trellick Tower.
But 'council' ought to mean 'universal'. Newham
Council currently plan to build Richard
Rogers-designed houses that will then be sold at
'affordable' (ie, 80% of market) rates; Labour
councils are still dominated by dated neoliberal
dogma. While London, Sheffield or Glasgow subject
their estates to 'decanting' (or 'eviction', as
it used to be called) the recent renovation of
the Tour Bois-le-Petre in Paris entailed building
new wings, making existing flats larger and
retrofitting the entire block – without
privatising or moving anyone out. This could be
the future of council housing, but first we need
a break both with austerity and New Labour inertia.

Alex Morton, head of housing, planning & urban policy, Policy Exchange
Transfer planning controls from Town Halls to local people
To get Britain building we need fundamental
reform of our planning system. There are plenty
of good ideas out there, (e.g. more custom-build,
converting derelict shops to homes, to Garden
Cities), but housing’s core problems are deep and structural.
Many people do not grasp that new homes are
effectively rationed, like post-war bananas. Up
and down the country, local council officials
decide what land and how much land we should
devote to homes, what type of new homes are
necessary, and then impose it on local people. It
is no exaggeration to say it is a system straight
out of 1940s wartime economics. It simply does not work.
All other problems, once you work out what
created them, relate to this basic dysfunction
that makes NIMBYism sensible and reduces planning
permissions. So developers land bank as they are
worried about obtaining planning permission and
they think land will go up in value. The rising
social housing waiting list fell in Right To
Buy’s heyday 1980-1997 as private housing was more affordable.
Our system is more inflexible than most other
countries, and also has larger planning areas.
Our 300 or so local planning authorities compare
with thousands in places like Germany or France,
meaning that decisions taken at a very remote
level. Unlike most countries, there are limited
benefits for communities that allow development.
A planning system is necessary to protect our
most beautiful areas from inappropriate
development, and to let local people block unattractive housing.
But we need a system that does this without
micro-managing everything, and gives a direct
voice to local people on issues around quality
and infrastructure. We need focused incentives
for local development, clear quality control for
local people, open public green space like parks
and reserves if greenbelt is developed, and
sensible brownfield redevelopment overseen by
local people. Just 7% of England has been developed – we are not short of land.
Of course, a functioning planning system won’t
solve everything overnight. But without doing it
we will be constantly running just to stand
still. Planning is a political issue masquerading
as a technical one. Until we treat its resolution
as a political issue where both those who want to
build homes and local people must both be
satisfied, forcing them to negotiate with each
other, rather than imposing new homes on local
people either from Town Halls or Whitehall, we
will not solve the housing crisis.